Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

Our male got to hot or stressed while breeding. He is

Customer Question

Our male got to hot or stressed while breeding. He is panting heavenly and has a purple tongue. Are we going to loose him?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 2 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

A purple tongue can indicate a lack of oxygen in the bloodstream. This might go along with a heart condition. If you think your dog has heat stroke, then you should take your dogs temperature rectally. If using a digital thermometer wait until it beeps to read it, otherwise leave it for a full minute before reading. A dog's temperature is 101-102.5F.

If your dog's temperature is over 103F, you can use a damp cool towel or ice packs on your dog's abdomen and feet to try and cool your dog down. You can also use alcohol on the pads of you dog's feet. Offer cool water (not cold).

If it is over 104F, start cool down procedures and take your dog to the nearest emergency Vet.

Here is a great site on heat stroke overheating

http://petplace.stg.petplace.com/dogs/heat-stroke/page1.aspx

Disseminated intravascular coagulation(DIC) can occur following heat stroke. Read about this here:

http://www.vin.com/proceedings/Proceedings.plx?PID=2596&CID=WSAVA2002

Bloat might also be an issue. A dog mounting and dismounting during the breeding process might lead to bloat. Bloat (Gastric Dilatation) may or may not involve stomach torsion (twisted stomach). Common symptoms are attempts to vomit (usually unsuccessful) and may continue to try to vomit, dog just doesn't seem like themselves, a hunched up posture, anxiety and restlessness, a distended stomach that is tight like a drum, gums may be dark red in early stages and white or blue in later stages. These are the most common symptoms and the list goes on.

If you believe your dog has bloat they should be seen immediately. Simethicone products like gas-x may help while you take him into the vet. You can read more on bloat here.

http://www.globalspan.net/bloat.htm

I would advise you to have him seen by your vet as soon as possible since heat stroke is not something you want to try and treat at home and if it is bloat, things progress quite fast and it can be deadly. I'd rather err on the side of caution in a case like this.

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. If you expected something different from the site, please don't rate my answer lower as a result. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ike. How is everything going?
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 month ago.

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.