Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My dog is 7 years old and receives 10U of insulin in the a.m

Customer Question

My dog is 7 years old and receives 10U of insulin in the a.m and 10U in the p.m. I will give him his evening dose in about 1 hour from now(6:30 p.m) but will need to leave the house about 8:00 p.m because my daughter is being admitted to the hospital to be induced and I am her coach. I don't know if I will be home early enough tomorrow for is a.m dose. Will my dog be alright until I return home?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Sammy, he's a Lhasa Apso
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sammy?
Customer: He does have a Grade 1 heart murmur
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Sammy. Congratulations on the soon to be new addition to the family! How long has he been a diabetic receiving this 10 units of insulin twice a day? Has he been doing well on this?