Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I found maggots in my dachshunds poop today. There were

Customer Question

I found maggots in my dachshunds poop today. There were about 12 of them and they were alive. Since it's Easter I didn't want to try to find a vet. She seems ok now and ate her dinner fine. I know that sheyhot into the garbage that had rotten food in it so I'm sure that's where they came from. Is there a home remedy that u recommend or something I can purchase at a pet store that could kill them if she has anymore in her?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your maggot will be able to digest that. What is the maggot's name and age?
Customer: Julia...age 1 1/2 years old.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Julia?
Customer: Nope. She's very healthy.
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 days ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Not to worry. Flies layed eggs in the poop which hatched into maggots. Ingested maggots would have been digested and you wouldn't recognize them in the poop. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Should I give her anything to take to make sure there's no more left in her? For example, I know for worms you would use a dewormer. Do they have anything for maggots?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Could u suggest something to give her to kill any other maggots that are in her still?

The maggots you're seeing didn't come from inside her. If she ingested maggots she already digested them and so she would excrete the digested maggots along with her regular ingesta. To answer you directly, no, there's no wormer for maggots nor is there a need for one. You don't need to treat Julia. She might experience transient gastrointestinal distress from ingesting rotten food/maggots but she'll pass the food and any maggots she might have ingested within 24 hours.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
That's my concern...The live maggots came from inside her. I watched her poop them out and immediately picked up the poop because I saw all these white things moving around. I'm just afraid there attempts live ones in her.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
It should say "I'm afraid there are still live ones in her". Sorry. That autocorrect!!!

I believe that you're seeing either tapeworms or roundworms. Maggots wouldn't survive the stomach acid in a dog's stomach much less remain intact after passing through the GI tract. I would worm her with both an over the counter product containing praziquantel which addresses tapeworms and an over the counter product containing pyrantel pamoate which addresses roundworms. You can find these in pet/feed stores near you.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** try that. These worms/maggots looking things were about 1/2 an inch long, (twice the length of a grain of rice), all white, no other color on them. I couldn't even tell which end was the head until they moved. Again thank u for ur help.

Tapeworm segments, Ken. Here's one product containing praziquantel: https://www.amazon.com/Tapeworm-Dewormer-Dogs-5-Tablets/dp/B00PXM1ONW

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you, ***** *****

I appreciate it!

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Just giving u an update. The medicine for my dachshund Julia, worked! No more worms in her poop. Thank you so much for ur help.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 days ago.

Thank you for the good update. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know.

Hi Ken,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?