Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

I have a 11-13 year old female Westie who has in the past

Customer Question

Hi Jane, I have a 11-13 year old female Westie who has in the past vomited occasionally at night. I am now feeding her about every 3 hours - Taste of the Wild - dry. Her blood work is fine, an x-ray looks normal. I've tried an ant-acid
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that I'm aware of. I do live in the woods and there are piles of deer and bunny poop around, but she rarely eats it.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Molly
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Molly?
Customer: I saw her Vet last week, a follow-up on teeth cleaning. She doesn't seem to know what I should try. I was thinking of switching to self feeding, so that she can eat when she wants to during the night.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 month ago.

Hi Jacustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

When she vomits, is she vomiting up food or is it usually mucousy bile?

If food, does it seem partially digested or pretty much the way it went down, or smell like fecal matter?

Does she have diarrhea or are her feces well formed?

What antacid have you tried?

Was a fecal test done at her last visit to check for not only parasites like worms but protozoan infections as well?

Has her food changed prior to this?

Was she on antibiotics prior to the increase in vomiting?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
During the night she vomits a yellow, mucousy bile. During the day, it contains a small amount of food with the yellow bile. It does not smell like fecal matter. No diarrhea, feces are well formed. Antacid provided by the Vet, didn't help. Fecal test negative. Always fed Taste of the Wild. No antibiotics.

Thanks for the additional information. It is helpful. I am typing up your answer now.

It does indeed sound like your dog has a problem with excess bile. Perhaps your vet prescribed Zantac (Ranitidne). You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly a little under a 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Ranitidine reduces the amount of acid produced.

Dogs can also take prilosec (omeprazole). You can give it every 24 hours at a dosage of 0.25 to 0.5mg per pound of body weight. This is an over the counter medication as is pepcid. Prilosec works by blocking many of the active stomach pumps that produce acid before they produce the acid. It has to be given consistently.

Pepcid is another over the counter choice and it works by reducing the amount of acid the stomach produces. Read about Pepcid dosages and usage information here:

http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid

These are common medications used for excess bile and acid reflux. You might try probiotics to help get good bacteria into the dog's system which will aid in digestion and help with the acid issue. A popular choice is Fortiflora available in many pet stores. It won't hurt the situation at all.

Dogs can also develop problems with their gall bladders which can cause vomiting as well. You would likely need different imaging to diagnose that. Read about this here:

http://www.vetstreet.com/dr-marty-becker/what-you-need-to-know-about-canine-gallbladder-disease

I'd talk to your vet about trying a different medication. I'd also feed about 4 meals a day evenly spaced out and maybe another small one right at bed time to keep your dog from having an empty stomach overnight. This helps as well.

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. If you expected something different from the site, please don't rate my answer lower as a result. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you.

Hi Betsy,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 27 days ago.

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.