Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

Our dog has black spots on her belly. She also had itchy

Customer Question

Our dog has black spots on her belly. She also had white itchy spots in her fur.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Gracie. Just turned 5
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gracie?
Customer: No. She was on Revolution. Then was put on advantage
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 month ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 month ago.

What kind of dog is Gracie?

If you rub those black spots, do they clean off?

If they do/don't, does the paper towel you wipe it with seem reddish?

Has she had any new foods, treats, people food?

How long has she been having this problem?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We switched her over to Merrick dog food about 6 months ago because of acid reflux. Her reflux left because of the limited ingredient recipe. We started her on the Salmon and seemed to have no problem. Then we switched to Lamb limited ingredient and she seemed to have itchy spots and now the black spots like elephant skin. I think it could be something like lichenification which we know is caused by inflammation.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

I strongly suspect that this is actually an allergy to lamb.

Merrick has mainly the same ingredients in their foods, with the proteins being the change between them. Since she did fine on the Salmon, I would actually switch her back to that and see if the skin issues clear up.

If they don't, then you should have your vet take a peek and possibly do a skin scraping, just to rule out things like mites or thyroid problems, but it's too coincidental that it started once you changed to the lamb

I hope this helps.