PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

He won't lay down. He's drooling a little the gags like he's

He won't lay down. He's drooling a little the gags like he's going to vomit. He will lay down for a few min and he's gassy.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: He's puggle
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: Yes medium sized dog
JA: This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: I don't know

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am sorry to see that no one has reached out to you before now. How is your companion feeling this morning?

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food? New treats? Human food? The opportunity to get into the trash? Torn up toys, etc?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Nothing new that I know of. He may have gotten into my son's room is where the cat litter box is. He was up a lot last night sleeping for an hour here and there. But still drooling

Is he still gassy, as well? Are you hearing belching or noting flatulence?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My daughter said that he has been coughing. He has allergies and he is coughing like that. Last night though when he was gassy he wasn't really belching a lot but he was a little.

It's never a bad idea to have a veterinarian examine a pet when multiple symptoms are present, particularly if the pet is pacing and won't calm. This can indicate a severe GI up, which is also indicated by the retching/vomiting action. The coughing may be linked to the retching, too.

Failing this, I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. However, if you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian.

It often helps to give something to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, avoid or address changes in the stool, etc.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. For pets avoiding taking medication readily, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of the GI upset. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats.

You can also give gas-x for any belching or flatulence after the vomiting/retching has been confirmed to be over. Dosage here: http://www.walkervalleyvet.com/otc-meds.htm

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you. I just got home he is acting better now. I did give him his allergy med to help with the cough. I will try the bland diet tonight and if he starts with the drooling and pacing I will get the Pepcid. Thank you for your help.

You're welcome. Good luck!