Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My 5 year old German Shorthaired Pointer was diagnosed with

My 5 year old German Shorthaired Pointer was diagnosed with fluid in the abdomen (an a slight amount in chest and lungs) 5 days ago. Her X-rays show nothing else notable and her blood work/chemistry/urine tests ect are all coming back within the norms and she is eating, drinking and all in all very happy and energetic.
This afternoon, while snuggling on the couch with her I noticed what looks and feels like a fluid filled, soft and very moveable lump.
any ideas on what's going on???

Hello! My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Where is the lump?

Approximately how big is it?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It is about the size of a mans Palm (of his hand) but not round, more oval and flat.
It was directly under her right front leg (armpit area) but now this morning... It seems that the rest o her upper chest has caught up to it and her entire upper chest is a bit enlarged and floppy. (It jiggles when she runs which is not normal!!) ALSO, a similar lump to the first one has popped up over night on her left side, half way down her abdomen.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Her abdomen (which was very visibly full of fluid) seems to have gotten smaller over night.:. I wonder if the fluid from her abdomen has made its way to get chest? With that being said... It seems like lump or whatever is under the skin but not in the cavity.

I'll follow up for Lisa for you. You're describing a peripheral and dependent edema. The fluid in her abdomen didn't move under her skin but has leaked out from vessels under the skin and has filled the interstitial tissue spaces. This occurs mainly from right-sided heart failure or hypoalbuminemia (low serum albumin level) due to a poorly functioning liver unable to produce enough albumin or albumin loss through damaged kidneys or bowel. Less commonly, systemic inflammation/vasculitis is responsible for this edema.

I would be pleased to review her test results for you. Can you upload a copy of them to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy at home but her vet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me the file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon (if you can see that icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com/

I not only review the test results but note which tests should have been performed but weren't.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will upload them as soon as possible thank you!

I"ll watch for your next post. You're quite welcome.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello, sorry it has taken a few days to get back to you we have been in and out of different vets offices and I figured I would wait until I have all test results in and a clearer picture of what's going on before I came back to you...We have since had an ultra sound and bile acid panel and are awaiting results of the panel. Ultrasound showed a possibly small liver but nothing else obvious. She seems to look smaller and less fluidy/lumpy today though I am worried her lungs are filling up still. She's 5 and our sweet heart. She has just started to come into her self and is proving to be an amazing hunting dog. I am really hoping we are able to adjust her diet and get her on some supplements and at least spend a few more months with her if not longer! Any dietary advice? I'm happy to rate and repay for an ongoing consultation because the more opinions an views I have to go off of, the more I feel I may be able to help her!!

We need to see the results of the bile acid testing before knowing how to address her liver dietarily. For example, a poorly functioning liver would require severe protein restriction in the diet while less badly affected livers might require minimal protein restriction but a higher quality of protein. Please return to our conversation with as many of the test results as you can.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will thanks! Hopefully they will be in tomorrow, if not Monday for sure!

I appreciate it! You can scan results into your computer and then give me the file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon (if you can see that icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com/

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience: University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience