Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

She is a French Bulldog. Four days ago she had laser surgery

Customer Question

She is a French Bulldog. Four days ago she had laser surgery to widen her nostrils. All was well until several hours ago. She began having trouble breathing. When I bput her in her crate for the night, her breathing became extremely labored. It got some better when she heard me get up to check to she what I could do to help, but it sounds pretty bad. I have poor health, so going to the emergency vet is not easy, but of course I would if I have to. I was hoping I could relieve her until morning. Marilyn
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Marilyn?
Customer: I am Marilyn, Scarlet is the dog. I just rescued her three weeks ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Scarlet, please?

Regrettably, when my patients experience labored breathing (dyspnea), they need to be attended to by me. Caretakers aren't equipped to handle respiratory emergencies unless they happen to have supplemental oxygen at home.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have supplemental oxygen at home for me. I should get a dog mask for any (God forbid) future issues. I tried some respiratory therapy pats on her chest and broke up a lot of congestion. This, plus some accupressure to calm her nerves, settled her enough to wait until our vet opened her office at 7:30. Scarlet had no infection, just a lot of congestion. She did not have pneumonia either, it just sounded like it. She is going to be fine. Yeah! Thanks, Marilyn.
P.S. I have declined the service. I have two child, and two cousins who are attorneys. I am quite happy with my doctors and my vets. I just panicked because I have lost a lost of friends and family in the last four years and two cats this year.

Thank you for the good update! I appreciate your taking the time to let me know. You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.