Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian
49838867

We have azeala bushes and my 10 week old puppy has been

Hi we have azeala bushes and my 10 week old puppy has been chewing on them. I had no idea they are poisonous and now he is panting acting weak and feels feverish. What should I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the dog ate?
Customer: no I did not
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: No ma'am

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you Dr. Kara

The toxins in these plants (Grayantoxin) can cause vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, weakness, coma, low blood pressure, mental depression, heart failure and death. Symptoms generally start within a few hours. They do need to ingest at least a small amount to get sick. I am not sure if chewing and and ingesting the azalea plants are related to his symptoms, but if that is the touble then he needs emergency veterinary care.
Puppies can get sick from other reason too, including viral infections, and those too can be deadly.

Whatever is going on with your little guy he sounds very sick, and he needs emergency care. Puppies don't have the resources to support themselves through a health crisis like this without a lot of supportive care.

If you don't know of an emergency clinic near you here is a link to help you find one: http://www.vetlocator.com/index.php

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is there anything I can give him?

There is nothing you can give him at home to reverse grayanotoxin toxicity. In the clinic we induce vomiting and give activated charcoal if we catch them soon after ingestion, or if they show symptoms use fluids to support them, and drugs to support blood pressure and heart function.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Okay thank you!

You are very welcome, best of luck with your puppy.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara