Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

My dog won't come out from under my couch. He's been hiding

My dog won't come out from under my couch. He's been hiding under there all day.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Jabba, 9 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jabba?
Customer: I gave him a bath Sunday night, he was sluggish yesterday, and today he's just hiding. Last year he had a hunched back for a couple of weeks but the vet gave him a muscle relaxer and steroid for a month. I'm not sure if Jabba is hiding because his back hurts again or if he's sick.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. Your intuition is likely correct. Generally dogs hide when they don't feel well and we see this most often with dogs that have Intervertebral Disc Disease (IVDD), which is what you have described that the dog went through last year. I would suspect that is what you are seeing happening again.

I would give your Vet a call and see if he wants him back on the same regimen of medication. Until you can see your doctor, you can try a baby aspirin given with food. But do let your Vet know that you have used it because use of other prescribed meds may have to wait until the aspirin leaves the body,

I am going to direct you to a link that goes over IVDD and it will tell you the symptoms and treatment.

neck area

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-cervical-area/page1.aspx

lower spine http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-thoracolumbar-area-in-dogs/page1.aspx