Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My peek-a-poo has a foul mouth. His teeth look good. No

Customer Question

My peek-a-poo has a foul mouth. His teeth look good. No infection. I changed his dog food to a Purina brand. He coughs a lot, like he has something stuck in the back of his throat. I thought changing his food might help. We started brushing his teeth, as well. The smell is coming out of his pores!!! Lol! (I don't know if dogs have pores!).
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 month ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 month ago.

Does Roscoe ever do any drooling?

When was the last time he had a complete physical at his vet?

Are his teeth in the back tan colored?

Has he ever had a good dental cleaning at the vet?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No teeth cleaning done ever. Not even our dogs growing up. It's really just gotten popular in the last few years. But his teeth really look good. He does not drool. He drinks water too fast then throws up. He is due for a PE in the summer.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 month ago.

Great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

Generally speaking, whenever a dog has a foul odor coming from their mouth it's one of two things:

Either dental issues...and although his mouth looks good to the naked eye, it's definitely possible that there's something brewing under the gumline where you can't see it.

Or, there could be an underlying medical condition...this can range from things like kidney problems to digestive issues...of course, without any other "real" symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, etc, it's not the first thing I'd think of.

There's also a possibility that it could be an issue with his anal glands. We most commonly see this if the dog has been doing any scooting of his butt on the carpeting. Their mouths smell bad because the dogs lick at their bottoms and the oily scent sticks to the fur on the face and in the mouth.

Since we're not exactly sure which is going on with your boy, the best option is to move up that PE appointment from spring to the near future. They'll check everything out and figure out which of these issues could be causing the odor.

I hope this helps.

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 month ago.
Hi Rebecca,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Roscoe. How is everything going?

Lisa