PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My dog had an spine injury hes doing better but now his

Customer Question

hi my dog had an spine injury hes doing better but now his penis is swollen
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: kelo 7
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about kelo?
Customer: no thats it
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Is Kelo intact or neutered?

When did the swelling begin?

Can you share pictures of the swelling?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He hasn't been neutered and it began a week ago after he suffer a spine injury

This looks like a paraphimosis or the inability to withdraw the penis into the sheath. Ideally, this should have been addressed before now. The longer the penis is outside of the sheath the more likely it is that there will be a more major procedure required to replace it into its normal position (versus a small amount of lube and pulling the sheath over the penis). I presume that his back injury has kept him from being able to utilize the muscles on abdomen with flexion of his back to pull the penis back in originally, so it would have needed to be reduced manually. At this point, it looks swollen and may need to be surgically reduced. He needs to see your vet. Additionally, being intact will increase the risk of this happening again in the future. Once your vet reduces this, have him show you how to reduce it again before the swelling sets in so you can prevent it from happening again in the future.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer

Checking in. How is Kelo doing?