Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Dog is 18 months old hound underweight with bloody diarrhea

Customer Question

dog is 18 months old walker hound underweight with bloody diarrhea for months....ive given him ivermectin and fenbendazole....only thing that helps is Bactrim.....does he have coccidiosis?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about dog?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your dog's diarrhea.

Have you had a stool sample tested for internal parasites? He might have Coccidia, the only way to know is to look for these microscopic parasites in a stool sample. Bactrim is an antibiotic, so if he improves with this medication it may be the anti bacterial properties that are helping.

I might try metronidazole in case he has Giardia (fenbendazole can treat some cases of Giardia but is not always effective).

How much ivermectin did you give him?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Alot
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

Ivermectin has to be given in tiny doses; it can cause blindness, seizures, and other neurologic signs. If you use the cattle Ivermectin, you would give a 60 pound dog about 9 mg which would be less than 1 ml (1 cc) of Ivomec cattle wormer. Some dogs that have a genetic mutation can't even take that much.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

I hope you were able to see my responses; I have not heard back from you! How is he doing? Do you have any other questions?