Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

I have a 7 yr old spayed shitzu. She was vomitting a lot for

Customer Question

Hi I have a 7 yr old spayed shitzu. She was vomitting a lot for 24 hours and refusing to eat. We took here to the vet, they did xrays, saw no obstruction, did bloodwork all within normal levels.Gave us antibiotics and some meds to help calm her tummy. She is still refusing to eat, and we are giving her water by syringe. She is severly lethargic......this is the day after the vet appointment
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: Nothing, she has always been extremely healthy. She does seem to have all the symptoms of pancreatitis, but vet said bloodwork doesnt show any cause for alarm...
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Did the x-rays include contrast?
2) Have there been any changes to the diet? New food? New treats? Human food? The opportunity to get into the trash? Torn up toys, etc?
3) What medications are you giving or were given at the vet's office?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No they did not do the barium contrast. No changes in diet. She does eat people food, always has, ( I dont believe in it, but my husband does ) She was given Sulcrate to take 2mls orally propr to eating and amoxi after, but she will not eat. She does not even want bland cooked chicken which is her favorite. She will not drink from her bowl. We are giving her water by syringe today. She was just at the vets yesterda ($800 - to say it "may" be gastroentitis.....

Have they given her anything for nausea, such as Cerenia?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She hasnt vomitted now for 24 hrs, but she hasnt eaten anything either.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She did void last night, her last bowel movement was 48 hrs ago

Do you know if they given her anything for nausea, such as Cerenia?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
they gave her a cerenia injection, did preop bloods as well as the xray
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
hi, are we still connected ?

The Cerenia injection should work for 24 hours. But her avoidance of food and severe lethargy today warrants returning to your vet's office for more diagnostics and treatment. If she were my own dog, I would discuss if a barium series would be worthwhile and talk about hospitalization, as well, seeing as how she is profoundly lethargic and may need to have her blood glucose stabilized. As well, they can give her other injectable medications to calm symptoms she's having, including any discomfort in the abdomen which might be present and keeping her from wanting to eat, and keep her hydrated on fluids while her body overcomes whatever has caused her to feel unwell.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok Thank you, ***** ***** take her back to the vets.

Good luck!! Please keep me posted on how she's doing and if I can help you further.