PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

He won't seem to open his eyes they were fine about an hour

He won't seem to open his eyes they were fine about an hour ago
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** is a 8 year-old Jack Russell
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jack?
Customer: No he is very healthy

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share pics of what you are seeing?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I can, his eyes seemed to get better but now they seem to be reverting to how they were when I first sent the question.

Do the eyelids look swollen?

Is he taking any medication at this time?

Is this slowing any of his normal processes such as walking (is he having trouble seeing?)

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He seems to be able to see fine. He has slowed down a little bit but not substantially. Some what lethargic. His left eye seems slightly swollen. He doesn't seem to scratching or pawing at his eyes. He isn't taking any medication and is in otherwise good health. Seems to be a little bit tired and subdued today. He is opening his eyes wider. Kurt.

It's always wise to have eyes checked out when a pet shows abnormalities. I can give you some instructions to help if this might be an allergic reaction but if you don't see a rapid improvement I would wait no longer than tomorrow to have the eyes evaluated. It's not uncommon for pets to have dirt and such blow up into their eyes when outside, for example, which may only mildly irritate the eyes but give the pet more than enough reason not to want to open them due to sensitivity.

For at home treatment, you can try warm compresses on each eye for 15 minutes with warm wash cloth. You can also administer 1-2mg/pound of body weight of benadryl every 8-12 hours by mouth to see if this helps with the slight swelling you're seeing.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Jack?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
PitRottMommy
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Jack is doing fine, it seems that his condition was related to an allergic reaction to some new dog biscuits I tried. I noticed his condition improved and then would return after he ate the dog biscuit. I stopped the biscuits and his condition disappeared.