Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 17 pound dachshund ate approximately 8 pieces of stover

Customer Question

Hi , my 17 pound dachshund ate approximately 8 pieces of Russell stover candy
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dachshund will be able to digest that. What is the dachshund's name and age?
Customer: Taz and he is one year old .
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Taz?
Customer: No
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 5 months ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

Good news, I very much doubt if this incident is going to adversely affect Taz very much, there are no special measures you need take other than just keeping an eye on him. You may _ perhaps _ see a mild transient bout of gastroenteritis but even that may not happen. But lets talk about it in more depth ...

1. While chocolate can be toxic to dogs under certain circumstances they have to eat quite a lot, probably very much more than your dog ate before you would see signs of toxicity. I say this because :

2. The rule of thumb which I apply is that with milk chocolate mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.7 ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. Severe signs occur when 2 ounces per pound of body weight is swallowed. If you estimate your dog's weight as being in the region of 17 lb then you can see that your dog would have to swallow around 11.9 ozs { More than one pound } of pure milk chocolate before any symptoms would even start to occur.

I see from the internet that 16 ounce box of Russell Stover chocolates contains 30 pieces so the most chocolate that Taz could have got was 4.2 ounces, but a plus point is that these candies have fillings they are not pure chocolate. : LINK

3. I am telling you the following just for your information as your dog ate so little you need not do anything and need not be concerned.

The symptoms of chocolate poisoning would include vomiting and diarrhoea as well as frequent urination, and restlessness in the early stages. This can then progress to cardiac dysfunction, tremors and fits. Of course you should call your vet without delay if any symptoms appear.

Having said that most dogs with chocolate poisoning will recover within 24 to 48 hours, particularly if serious symptoms do not occur. There is no specific treatment for chocolate poisoning only symptomatic treatment.

4. Here is a link to a very accurate article on chocolate toxicity in the dog, follow this and you can check the accuracy of my advice and read more on the subject : LINK

5. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Taz's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you so much !!!

No problem, very pleased to be advising you ...

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Taz is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Russell Stover candy...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott