PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My dog is a mix breed. In the past month, he has developed

My dog is a mix breed. In the past month, he has developed lumps all over his body. They are firm and many have popped leaking a gross fluid. Last night he had blood coming from one. He has been more lethargic and not eating as much. Last night he went pee in his bed while sleeping and has had a. Oue accidents in the house whoch is not like him.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Kelly, I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Fatty tumors don't pop and leak. Can you upload a photo(s) of representative skin to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

There are quite a few considerations in dogs as you've described - sterile nodular panniculitis, idiopathic sterile granuloma and pyogranuloma, vasculitis/panniculitis, and cutaneous drug reaction all are important considerations.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Dr. Salkin, I have added a couple photos through the add files below. I hope you will receive them.

Thank you! Give me a moment to take a look, please...

The photos are out of focus. Can you try again, please? The first photo is suggestive of all of the differential diagnoses I mentioned except a cutaneous drug reaction.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Here you go.

Thank you! The most expedient manner in which to diagnose this skin condition is to have Roscoe's vet take a few punch biopsies of these lesions. You should have a diagnosis within just a few days. Roscoe's systemic signs - lethargy, inappetence, and urinary incontinence - suggest that more than his skin is involved in the disease process as might be seen with immune-mediated disorders such as those I mentioned above. Because he's urinary incontinent, it would be prudent to have his urine checked for infection. The infection may or may not be related to infection present in those skin lesions.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We took him to the vet about 1 1/2 months ago because of his incontinence and loss of appetite. At the time he just had a few cyst under his skin. They checked hos urine and his blood. Since then, he has developed a ton of lumps all over that pop. He stopped urinating in the house until just the other night in which he went in his sleep on his bed. The few times he went in the house were all during the night.

Thank you for the additional information. He'll need his urine checked once again. The urine can be taken in the most sterile manner (cystocentesis/percutaneous aspiration of his bladder through his abdominal wall) at the same time punch biopsies are obtained.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We can't afford to keep taking him to the vet for test which is why I tried this route. I was hoping for more than an answer of take him into your vet.

I understand your financial constraints. I regret that Roscoe has a condition that can't be diagnosed and a treatment recommended without additional testing. I'll opt out which will allow another expert to offer another opinion.

Kelly,

Can you tell me more about your situation? Has Roscoe been placed on any medications for the urinating?

Where have these lumps appeared?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He has not been given any medication at all. It started with a few lumps but now he has close to 20. They feel hard and look like the image I sent. Many of them pop and a gross yellowish, greasy fluid leaks out. The last one that pop was just blood. He urinated in his sleep 4 nights ago but nothing since. He doesn't seem in pain but definately lethargic. We switched his food and mow he has been eating well.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The lumps are all over back, behind ears, stomach, everywhere. He has a foul, sour smell to him which may be due to the ones that have popped.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
When he went to the vet, they did say he was anemic.

As Dr. Salkin had mentioned, it's very difficult for us to give you a determination on what is wrong when growths like these appear. Not only can we not see them in person but often cellular analysis must take place for a diagnosis to be made. Underlying conditions like immune-mediated disorders can be one of many causes of these types of skin eruptions. And we can also see anemia present with immune-mediated disorders.

That being said, I don't think the urinary issue is linked directly to the skin issue but it would still be worth talking to your vet about medications in the near future to help with sphincter control so that he isn't having these accidents at night. We do typically test the urine to ensure that no infection is present, as well, so that we aren't masking actual symptoms with medication and possibly causing more issues.

I'd be interested to know if these growths are infected or have a yeast component due to their smell. It will not hurt for you to use regular neosporin on these areas up to three times daily.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
His urine was tested and came out fine. He has been drinking more.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is there anything natural or over the counter I can try before taking him in?

The urine was tested after the urinating in bed occurred?

You can use a holistic immune booster to see if this helps. Most people will see results in 1-2 weeks, if it helps. It's called Thuja. You can administer the liquid or pellets:http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Newton-Homeopathics-Thuja/161016.aspx

You can give 3 drops or 3 pellets every 12-24 hours by mouth. It is typically recommended to start with once in a 24 hour period for 2 weeks and increase to twice daily if no improvements are noted.

Keep in mind that if you see any worsening at all, he needs to be examined. If this is, by chance, an immune-mediated disorder and anemia is a concern he may experience gradual weakening, loss of coordination, profound lethargy, etc. Any of these symptoms or others, please consult your vet promptly.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If it is an immune mediated disorder, how is it diagnosed and can it be treated?

It depends on what type of disorder it is. Typically diagnosis like bloodwork are needed. The treatment varies depending on immune-mediated disorders, too, but typically medications are needed and in some cases hospitalization, blood transfusions, etc.

Checking in. How is Roscoe?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He is very lethargic. He has no energy at all. I cleaned up the areas where his hair matted and stuck around the cyst. As I got under the matted hair in one area His hair just came off in clumps and I found two totally disgusting cyst underneath that appear infected. I will attach picture. My vet can't get him in until next Thurs. but they did prescribe an antibiotic, Epharexin 500mg 3x a day. After researching, I am wondering if I should at least get him diff. Food high in protein, low fat? He has been eating well and not peeing inside at all but just looks so sad and lethargic. He barely moves all day.

Did you mean Cephalexin?

The bloodwork that was run, did they check his organ function?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Here is a copy of my receipt from Oct. 26. Then we took him back to check again two days later. (2nd photo).

A blood panel is nonspecific. I would assume that this means the organs were checked too, but I cannot tell you for sure that they are. We might have to wait until Monday when you can call to see if this was the case. If his organs are not fairing well, this might explain why he's not feeling well but at the same time anemia can cause profound lethargy.

Did you mean Cephalexin on the antibiotic?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I did. Ok, they won't be in on Monday but I can try Tues. In the meantime, do you think I should try switching his food?

I think trying some other options would be wise. Here are some things I would suggest:

-Boiled rice and boiled chicken breast without skin or bone (you can also bake the chicken breast but it needs to be without butter or seasoning, just bland)

-Rice and cottage cheese

-Pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors without onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. This can be given directly or mixed into food.

-Canned dog food

-Esbilac puppy milk mixed into any variety of foods to increase palatability, can be used alone in limited quantities

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok, I will give this a try.

Good luck! Let me know if I can help further.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you!

Sure thing.

PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience: 15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue