Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Paralysis in all 4 legs. He's a golden doodle. Can move his

Customer Question

Paralysis in all 4 legs.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: He's a golden doodle. Can move his legs but can not stand up. Crawls around on the floor. Has to be some kind of discommunication between his brain and spinal cord??
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: Yes golden doodle
JA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No I didn't look at his feet. But that wouldn't explain why he has paralysis. Has been on 3 antibiotics.
JA: What is the's name and age?
Customer: Levi. He's 3
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Levi?
Customer: He has facial droop on right side of face. Like his right facial nerve is affected also. Tongue paralysis. Been feeding him mushy food. And water with a turkey baster. Does urinate on his own. Gave him pumpkin in his food for fiber and he did just poop on his own.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok thank you. No ticks on him. We thought that might be it. It's just baffling.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Email is fine thank you

I'm sorry to hear of this with Levi. His tetraparesis and facial paralysis indicate encephalopathy (brain disorder) and these are rarely infectious in a 3 year old and so antibiotic therapy is rarely indicated. In most cases I'll find a meningoencephalitis in these dogs - eosinophilic, granulomatous, and idiopathic (unknown cause) - and all are addressed with immunosuppressive doses of a glucocorticosteroid such as prednisone +/- other immunosuppressive drugs. The diagnosis of a meningoencephalitis relies upon cerebrospinal fluid tap and analysis and MRI.

Referral of Levi to a specialist veterinary neurologist (please see here: www.acvim.org) should be considered. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

(Tick paralysis rarely causes cranial nerve involvement such as facial nerve paralysis.)