Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

4 year old female yellow lab. She is sensitive to pet or

Customer Question

4 year old female yellow lab. She is sensitive to pet or rub. no hot spots skin and coat are great. its almost like its nerves that make her twitch or rear leg jump in scratching motion when petting her..
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: she did chew a wound on her right leg but i have coned her. no infections and healing well.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bella
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bella?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 month ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 month ago.

Has she always done this?

How much exercise does Bella get?

Have you had her since she was a puppy?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
she has always been like this.. I have had several times where she has chewed her leg and have had to cone her until it heals. she is walked a minimum of 1 x a day but we live with no fence in remote area where she can run. I've had her since she was 10 months. I use pedigree adult food, I have tried liquid fish oil added to food, I tried Gabapentin and Clairitin
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 month ago.

And when was the last time she had a complete physical at the vet?

Does she seem overall itchy?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She was at my vet 1 week ago full physical, shots etc. they suggested the claritin. It has made no difference. she is scratching but I know she does not have fleas as she is on bravecto.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it seems more like her nervous system not so much scratching. you touch her and her skin and coat twitches. kinda like if you find the right spot on a dog you can make there rear leg twitch. but Bella is like this all over
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 month ago.

Thanks so much for putting up with my questions...I really appreciate it.

From your description, I can't help but think that Bella might be dealing with some severe allergies.

As someone who lives with an allergy dog herself, I can completely understand how frustrating it can be when you're trying to figure out what is causing your dog to be so miserable. I think one of the worst things about allergy dogs is that it can take years and years before a exact cause is found.

With my pup, I had my vet do VARL testing (more info here: http://www.varlallergy.com/ ), which determined exactly what he was allergic to (turns out he's allergic to ragweed and a specific type of pollen), which made it easier to control his contact with the items he's allergic to. As a side note...many, many, many dogs are highly allergic to corn and corn products, so it could very well be that if any of the dog foods you're using contain corn, that could be part of his problem. I know that Pedigree does contain a great deal of corn, so it could explain the ongoing issue.

We also began using the medication Atopica (more info here: http://www.atopica.com/ ), which helped control his itching and made him a happier guy. Atopica is sort of the 'big gun', and once we got my dog's allergies under control, we were able to switch to Temaril P instead (which is less expensive and it only takes 1/4 tablet once a day to keep my dog's allergies in check).

I think is Bella were mine, I'd start by having the vet do some allergy testing. I really feel like that will explain the majority of her symptoms.

I hope this helps.

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Lisa