Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My dog has severe hair loss on his stomach and hind legs and

Customer Question

My dog has severe hair loss on his stomach and hind legs and has a foul odor. The stomach area and hind paws appear a bit swollen.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: He has no wound
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Romeo, he is 10
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Romeo?
Customer: He has been being treated for falliculitus. Those areas on his back, neck and chest appear better
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. Just ignore it. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Is she scratching or chewing a lot on his skin, especially in these areas?

Are the areas with the hair loss red or inflamed?

What medication is he currently on for folliculitis, and how long has he been on it?