PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

He is a Shihchon and weighs just under twelve pounds. He

Customer Question

He is a Shihchon and weighs just under twelve pounds. He will be 5 the twenty seventh of this month. We have raised him from about 9 weeks old. About 4:40 this afternoon while on my husbands lap he started shaking uncontrollably. My husband shout for me, by the time I got to the room he was on the floor. His stance was odd and he was like turning back and forth rapidly. I picked him up, took this radio collar off and just held him. after 4 or 5 minutes the temors quit.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Max
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Max?
Customer: He is a white dog and I have had him on Angel Eyes since he was about nine months old for the discoloration. It worked. About a month ago Max loss interest in his food. I thought maybe he just got tired of the medicine so I decided to lower the dose to half or 1/8 tsp per day. This week the red fur returned. Thursday night I went back to the recommended 1/4 tsp. dose. He was groomed yesterday and I think she used a new shampoo.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

It sounds like you may have witnessed a seizure. Has this happened before with Max?

The radio collar, does it emit any type of shock?

How has his appetite been since changing the angel eyes dosage?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
This has never happened before. He hates riding in a vehicle and shakes the whole time, we don't make him go out very often. The collar should only emit a shock if he challenges his boundaries. That has never happened in the house. He is eating fine at the upped dosage.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If it helps he is 3/4 Shih Tzu and 1/4 Bischon.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

I would recommend removing the collar entirely until you can have him examined. The collar itself, especially if it is malfunctioning, may well be related to the seizure activity you've witnessed. If you want to be proactive, you or your husband wear the collar around a wrist or ankle for a few days while in his general areas to be sure there isn't a shock being given for no reason at all.

If he stresses in the car, consider a mobile vet. Otherwise, schedule an exam and bloodwork to be sure there is no obvious underlying cause such as organ dysfunction, electrolyte imbalance, etc. From this point forward, be on the lookout for seizures. Be ready to film one, if you can. Log them in a book noting the date, time, duration and any odd behavior leading up to or after the seizures. Make sure to log any testing of his boundaries and shock the collar may give off, if you're aware of it to see if this has any link.

I doubt that there is a link between the Angel Eyes and the seizures but worth using something different (like Eye Envy which is an external product) if this persists. If this progresses into regular seizure activity, your vet will eventually want to place him on oral medication to decrease the frequency.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

If you would like a phone call, please let me know.

Hi Ann,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy