Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I have found a lump on the left side right around the end of

Customer Question

I have found a lump on the left side right around the end of her jaw line...size of a dime maybe?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she is almost 5.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about jazzy?
Customer: No, she's an energetic as can be and just wants to kiss us all thee time Lol
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry to hear you found this lump on Jazzy's jaw. Is it painful to her?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

The only way to know what a lump is, if it is serious, if it is cancer, if it needs to be removed or left alone, is to do some kind of biopsy. You can't tell what it is by feeling it, or looking at it.

I usually start with FNA, fine needs aspiration which means inserting a syringe into the lump to get cells from inside it, to examine microscopically. That should tell you if this is benign and can be left alone, or if it is possibly cancerous, and should be removed as soon as possible.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No. She is not in any pain...even if you touch it
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

That is good. If this were an infection, or an inflamed tumor, it would be painful. Still, the only way to know what it is and how best to treat it would be do to FNA.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

I have not heard back from you; I hope you were able to see my response. How is Jazzy doing?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?