Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

We are getting a new mini-labradoodle puppy from a breeder.

Customer Question

We are getting a new mini-labradoodle puppy from a breeder. We were supposed to pick him up today, but the breeder let us know that the puppy has a skin infection and needs to stay for a bit longer. The breeder is also a vet - so the puppy has now been moved from the house to the vet's office. They are saying we can pick him up in 1 week. Just trying to figure out if this is something we should be concerned over or if this is somewhat common.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations your vet's puppy can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your vet's puppy?
Customer: Nothing else that we know of. When we were visiting the puppy at the breeder's home, the litter was itching a good bit - but I have read that is not uncommon for puppies. I guess I also just want to figure out the right questions to ask the breeder / vet to ensure that we are doing the best thing for the puppy.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.