Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My miniature schnauzer who is 12 years old and has kidney

Customer Question

My miniature schnauzer who is 12 years old and has kidney disease ate 1 foam peanut packing Styrofoam piece.
Is there anything I need to do or should I just watch her?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 4 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question. For a dog her size to eat just one foam packing peanut, I wouldn't expect it to become a problem. This seems to have a good chance of being passed benignly through the intestinal tract. It isn't a toxicity issue. Could it become a blockage? That is something that would seem pretty unlikely. What is watched for are signs of vomiting, abdominal discomfort or no appetite for over 24 hours. IF these are seen, then she should be checked over. Some packing peanuts are actually cellulose and digestable. If you have some more, if you put them in water if they dissolve, then they are absolutely a non issue.