Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My 19 year old rat terrier salvia glands two are so swollen

Customer Question

my 19 year old rat terrier salvia glands two are so swollen in her mouth that her tongue has out. I noticed this last night. We went to the vet and his prescribed meds for two, however it is unknown if this will help. Is three anything we can to for our dog
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the rat terrier's name?
Customer: SueAnn
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about SueAnn?
Customer: No, she has been going to this vet for three years. Twice a year she get a rash and chews her hair off. Twice a year we are given medicine to give her for two weeks. She too her last dose three day ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Louise, I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Has it been established that SueAnn's salivary glands rather than lymph nodes are so badly swollen? If lymph nodes are that swollen they're likely to represent lymphoma although lymph nodes draining significant inflammation in the mouth can also become quite inflamed. If salivary glands are that swollen, cancer is a consideration but we also see sialadenitis, sialadenosis, and necrotizing sialometaplasia and one is treated differently from the other.

The most expedient manner in which to clarify what's swollen and why it's swollen is to needle aspirate the gland and have our pathologist examine the aspirate for its cellularity and the presence of infectious organisms or not. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.