Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My 15 year old female chihuahua keeps pulling up her front

Customer Question

my 15 year old female chihuahua keeps pulling up her front right leg and yelps loudly if anything touches her armpit area she will walk on the leg but carefully and when i touch her leg she has no reaction like it doesn't bother her at all
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: yes ma'am and nothing, its more like her ribcage armpit area but whatever is causing this is making her lift that leg... she's my baby and i just don't like her ever being in pain
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Diesel
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Diesel?
Customer: no,for a 15 year old she's very spry and acts young still eating great and drinking water and being sassy to her brother and sisters like normal
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 months ago.

This yelping and holding up a front leg is actually a common sign with neck pain and a bulging disc or disc herniation of the cervical spine.

We usually don't get pain on palpation of the leg, but if you stretch the neck up/ down/ left/ right, that's when we usually get the response.

The treatment in mild cases of pain is with anti-inflammatory meds (Rimadyl, Metacam), other nerve pain meds (Gabapentin) and resting for 1-2 weeks. In severe cases with neurologic deficits, we'll recommend an MRI and disc removal surgery. This is not typically needed in most cases.

I would have your vet take a look and start some pain meds when you're able to get in.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.