Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 3 lb dog swallowed 250 mg of docusate sodium? What should

Customer Question

My 3 lb dog swallowed 250 mg of docusate sodium? What should I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Yoda 1 year
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Yoda
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Yoda?
Customer: No
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 13 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but I wanted to touch base with you about this ingestion. This is actually a drug we do use in dogs, so its not an outright poisoning. Furthermore, 250mg is a top normal dose we'd use for a dog in a day, so that isn't even an overdose for Yoda. That said, we could see signs since he likely didn't need this treatment. In regards ***** ***** we'd expect to see appetite loss, cramping, diarrhea and possible vomiting.

So, in this case, we'd just want to monitor Yoda and can address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). If Since diarrhea is likely, we can also add OTC canine probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) and fiber (ie canned pumpkin, all bran) to these meals to firm that for him. And ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.

Further to this, if he appears nauseous we can also treat with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. Ones we can use here include Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. But again this is a medication we do use in dogs and while he had a top dose and we'll likely see signs, we can start supportive care to offset that. Of course, if his signs are profuse or he appears dehydrated, then we'd want his local vet to start symptomatic care and fluids as this runs its course.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )