Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My 6 year old female was accidently bred about a month ago

Customer Question

my 6 year old female was accidently bred about a month ago and is still spotting, is this normal or is she trying to abort
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Holly
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Holly?
Customer: it's the first time she's ever been bred, the male is about the same size maybe a little smaller than Holly
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 4 months ago.

Hi Jacustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

Has she been pregnant before this?

Do you know how long ago she actually mated?

Is it more than just a few spots of blood or more like tablespoons of blood?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Jane, Holly is 6 yrs old and has never been mated before She is only presenting a drop or two fairly often, like every couple of hours. She was bred about Dec 12th or 13th. this bleeding didn't start till a couple of weeks ago and as I mentioned, is not a lot but never the less it's there.

Hi JaCustomer,

It could be a few different things. A heat cycle lasts about 3 weeks though in some dogs the heat cycle is longer and other shorter. There are also cases of dogs who have abnormal heat cycles where they might have some blood show, go into the second phase of heat and then back into the first stage of heat again. Let me give you a site that goes over abnormal heat cycles such as split Estrus.

http://www.labbies.com/reproduction2.htm

Now it is possible that she did become pregnant and is experiencing a miscarriage or partial miscarriage. The problem is that until your dog is about 21 days or further along, it is almost impossible to determine if she is indeed pregnant. Your vet may be able to do an ultrasound now to determine if she is pregnant though waiting a little while longer would be better to see the pups and determine if they are viable. Dogs can lose one pup and still continue to carry the rest of the litter.

However, some older dogs can develop a uterine infection called pyometra. Pyometra generally occurs 60-70 days after a heat cycle. It is usually seen in older unspayed females but can be seen in any age. It is diagnosed by ultrasound showing fluid in the uterus. There are two types of Pyometra (open and closed cervix) Symptoms of open cervix Pyometra are a vaginal discharge that may be pus or bloody, lethargy, anorexia, increased thirst and urination, vomiting and diarrhea, and abdominal swelling though the dog remains fairly healthy due to the infection draining from the body. Closed cervix Pyometra symptoms are the same without much of a discharge, they appear very ill, there is usually weight loss and abdominal swelling and is much more extreme. Dehydration, shock and death can occur if not treated aggressively.

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/pyometra-in-dogs/915

As you can see, this could be relatively harmless bleeding, or a partial miscarriage or the start of a serious infection. I would try and get her into the vet to determine if she is pregnant. An ultrasound can determine pregnancy as early as 21-28 days. He might also do a vaginal swab to determine if she is having an abnormal heat cycle.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. Let me know if my answer was helpful.