Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My dog has a very small seeming pain bump at the base of his

Customer Question

My dog has a very small seeming pain bump at the base of his tail. He chews at it and whimpers when we pet near it
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Rufus. He's a 7 year old shepherd mix
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rufus?
Customer: when it doesn't hurt and we scratch it he sticks his tongue out and licks the hair Air*
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 11 days ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

A lump or growth is hard to diagnose even with an office visit, over the internet it is even harder as we can not even see the growth. A lump may indicate cancer, but many such growths are harmless. Many lumps are not painful or bothersome. It may be a fatty tissue deposit called Lipomas or a wart or a hematoma, but to be positive your vet will need to test the lump to be sure. An abscess can form when a dog has a puncture wound that heals on the outside while the bacteria is multiplying under the skin. It might also be a cyst that is becoming infected and painful.

Any lump found on your animal should be tested to determine if it is a cancerous or benign lump. Your vet will want to perform a fine-needle aspiration or other appropriate test. It is performed quickly and allows some of the cells of the lump to be evaluated by the veterinary pathologist. This test will allow the vet to determine the nature of the lump and take the necessary steps to remove it. Some vets will leave it alone if it is not serious. If it is an abscess, he may just drain it and prescribe antibiotics. Lumps that are solid feeling, feel attached and fast growing should be checked as soon as possible as these are the ones that are more likely to be serious.

Here are a few sites for additional information to allow you to get an idea based on the physical characteristics..

http://www.dog-health-guide.org/doglumpsonskin.html

Now dogs have anal glands at the base of the tail but they are generally below the rectum. These can become swollen, overfilled and painful. Dogs often self express them by dragging their rear on the ground. Excellent site on anal glands

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_anal_sacs.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn2Zm-KwKy4

Dog's have sebaceous glands and perianal glands at the base of their tails. Sometimes, these glands can become clogged and swollen. A warm compress on the spot and cleaning with Benzyl peroxide gel may help with the problem. I would also use some Neosporin or triple antibiotic cream on the area as well. Dogs with this swelling of the sebaceous gland may have a problem with hypothyroidism or a hormonal imbalance, so I would suggest you have your dog seen by your vet if you do not see improvement.

The way you describe it as a bump that is painful at times lead me to believe it is likely a lump that needs to be biopsied by your vet and possibly removed since it frequently causes him pain.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 18 hours ago.

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. Let me know if my answer was helpful.