Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I have an almost month old Morkie. Her private part is

Customer Question

I have an almost month old Morkie. Her private part is extremely swollen and she is slightly bleeding. My boyfriend said she's in heat and a female's private parts swell like that when they go into heat. I thought it might be a toumor. So they swell up like that.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: No she seems to be very healthy and active.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your puppy. She is only a month old, which means she is still nursing?

That is too young to be in heat. Your boyfriend is correct, the vulva swells up 3 to 4 times normal size when a female dog is in heat, and there is a bloody discharge, but it would not usually happen until at least 5 to 6 months of age, usually older. The vulva does swell and it is probably not a tumor. Is she really only a month old?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

I have not heard back from you; I hope you were able to see my response. How is your Morkie doing?