Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

He is almost 14 years. A beagle. He has been coughing for

Customer Question

He is almost 14 years. A beagle. He has been coughing for some time and has been on prednisone 5 mg and lasiks 20mg because he has heartworms. Today, for the first time, he coughed up red foamy blood? I recently decreased his prednisone to one pill per day and the lasik to one pill per day, as the vet said less is better if he does ok with the lesser amount. He also gets 1/3 of a Doxycycline 300 twice per day the first seven days of the month for heartworm control. Concerned about the red foamy blood he is coughing up recently.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the beagle?
Customer: Not that I am aware of. I realize he is probably near the end, but wanted him to be comfortable as long as possible.
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 15 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

The coughing up blood needs to be addressed. This is not a normal and likely is secondary to symptoms caused by the heartworms. I would recommend having him examined no later than tomorrow and if you're able to have him seen overnight at the ER this would be more ideal. In some cases the blood will simply be from irritation, but in other cases it may be a sign of a minor hemorrhage with a more major hemorrhage to come. Early intervention is recommended, when possible.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800