Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My female pug went into heat or started spotting on Sunday

Customer Question

my female pug went into heat or started spotting on Sunday Jan 1st when in her cycle can I breed her
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Maddi, age 3 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Maddi?
Customer: no, shes in excellent health all records current
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
shes been in heat for 4 days now, when can I breed her?
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I know I have a limited time to do this

Typically 9-14 days after the heat cycle has begun, you will notice a change in the color of the discharge from bright red to a less noticeable pink to yellow color. Typically when this color change occurs the female is willing to stand for a male and allow breeding to occur. If you have a male in your midst, particularly if this male is experienced, he will be more interested in the female during this time. Some females will allow breeding to begin as early as 7 days after a cycle begins. So, you need to wait roughly 3-5 days more before she will BEGIN to allow a male to breed her. For the best chance at puppies, allow the male and female the most time together when she becomes receptive until she is no longer interested in breeding or becomes aggressive toward the male's advances.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
her age is good to breed at correct?

We typically recommend at least 3 years, yes.