How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Pet Doc Your Own Question
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 7173
Experience:  Veterinarian
9138059
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Pet Doc is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My lab is 12 years old and seems to not have much appetite.

Customer Question

my lab is 12 years old and seems to not have much appetite. He wants to lay day and seems wobbly on his feet. He ate a brownie by accident. No icing just cookie
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Jake
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jake?
Customer: I forgot to mention that he ate a brownie
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 5 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your boy Jake. Was he wobbly before or after the brownie? How big was the brownie and how much does Jake weigh? Have you noticed any other symptoms today?

I will wait to hear from you,

Dr E

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He normally weighs about 80 pounds but has lost down to about fifty over the summer. He is wobbly now but wasn't right after the brownie. Brownie was 2 x 2 no icing. Doesn't seem to feel good, wobbly and no appetite.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Normally he is bouncing around and now he doesn't even want to walk.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 5 months ago.

Hi again,

Thanks for that. Given he is such a big boy (even with the weight loss), if this was a normal chocolate brownie with no icing, then this wouldn't have caused him any issue. While chocolate is toxic to dogs, it does depend on the type of chocolate, the amount ingested and the size of the dog. Symptoms of chocolate toxicity are also the opposite of what you are seeing: hyperexcitability, restlessness, increased urination and thirst. So - there is definitely something else going on here with Jake, and we need to consider everything from a musculoskeletal issue (such as arthritis), to an internal organ or endocrine problem, to something else entirely. If he is particularly lethargic right now, then there is no question that you really do need to get him seen by your local vet this afternoon if you can.

In the meantime, please keep a close eye on Jake's mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the afternoon, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the vet.

I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 5 months ago.

Hopefully those parameters are all normal? Let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 5 months ago.

Hopefully my message came through ok. I'll be online for another 5 - 10 minutes. Please let me know if I can assist further,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 5 months ago.

Hi again,

How did you get on with your boy overnight? Did his symptoms settle, or did you follow up with your local ER vet?

It would be great to get an update when you get a moment.

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 5 months ago.
Hi,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Pet Doc