Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I need to know what to do for my friends dog. It's an

Customer Question

Ma'am I need to know what to do for my friends dog. It's an emergency and no vet is open at this time
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: She said the dog is bleeding from the anus and whimpering. Earlier she was vomiting and experiencin bloody stool
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: Not that I know of. Would it be possible to Threeway call with my friend?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How much blood are the seeing? A spoonful, cupful, etc?

Is it when she passes stool or is it dripping out when she isn't?

What does her vomit look like?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Actually could we call? Me and her are in two separate places it would be quicker?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hi again,

My apologies, but I cannot offer the live phone call option (it was an automatic site offer) at this time. Therefore, please let me know if you want to discuss your wee one further via the Q+A feature as we have or if you wish for me to opt out to see if a fellow colleague can offer this service to you.

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If you don't mind, I need her to be able to speak to someone. My apologize
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

No worries, I will opt out (be aware I won't be able to see any further replies after this) and hopefully a colleague can aid you.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello again,

I have received your note (though the site closes duplicate questions). If she wants my aid, can you ask those above questions I asked so I can get an appreciation of the gravity of this situation.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
far she said that she ate salmon off the floor that possibly had a boneSpoonful's of bloodRunny but not dripping stoolVomit is watery with bubblesWater is being kept downVomited onceTeeth are moist light pinkNo painSays discharge from anus i's like jelly and she's scooting around
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you,

Now to start a bone from a fish could irritate the throat and stomach but would not cause the blood diarrhea.

Now I am going to start writing out our concerns with what you are reporting and what we need to do, but in the meantime can you ask her for a rough estimate of how many spoons of blood (just one or how many more since otherwise it isn't a very helpful estimate)?

Are those gums paler then usual?

Is she dripping blood (not stool)?

And is this dog vaccinated?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Has been vaccinatedLittle less than a cup of bloodNot sure on the gumsNot enough blood/stool to drip but enough to smear when she's sittingShe's pooping a mix of blood and stool
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
only enough blood to smear not drip*
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you again,

Now I am glad that we can rule out issues that could cause continuous blood flow from the rectum. In that case, we'd have to be most wary of these signs being infectious in nature or related to toxicity. Specifically, we can see upper/lower GI signs like this with viral infections (ie Parvo, Hemorrhagic gastronenteritis), bacteria (like Salmonella, Campylobacter, etc), protozoa (ie Giardia, Coccidia, Cryptosporidia) and ingestion of harmful items (ie toxins, plants, non-edible items). As well, while a minor sign, I'd note that mucus she sees when she scoots is likely from secondary inflammation of the colon but could also be related to the anal glands being inflamed (though usually those won't cause vomiting as well).

With this all in mind and with that volume of blood, we'd want to plan to have her seen as soon as her vet is open. In then meantime, we'd want to start supportive care to lessen her signs. Since she can keep water down, you can consider treating with an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be: Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever is chosen, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if you give this and she cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from her vet.

Afterwards, we can consider starting her on a easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and less diarrhea. Fiber (ie canned pumpkin, all bran) can be added to this to firm her stools. Also OTC canine probiotics (ie Benebac) can be used to support the gut. And I would note that we need to avoid any anti-diarrheal medications at this point since those above viruses/bacteria can actually cause more harm if allowed to linger in the gut.

Since dehydration is a risk here, we need to keep an eye on her hydration. To check that she isn't dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, do make sure she doesn’t have sunken eyes and that she doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue for her (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Finally, since we have some discomfort around the anus, while we will want her vet to double check her anal glands, we can gently salt water bathe the skin to counter any fecal scalding. OTC hydrocortisone cream can be used here to reduce skin inflammation if needed as well.

Overall, there are a wide range of agents could trigger these signs. So, we need to tread with care and will want her seen as soon as her vet is open. Though for the moment, we’d want to start supportive care to settle her stomach and then keep her eating and drinking to prevent dehydration and energy loss. Once her vet is open, then assess her hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with injectable anti-vomiting medication, fluids, +/- antibiotics and anti-diarrheals (once those agents are excluded) to get her settled before this can take a toll on her.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )