Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a 2 year old female pitbull - Day of breeding was Oct

Customer Question

I have a 2 year old female pitbull - Day of breeding was Oct 29th - FULL TEATS - today is day 67 - NO SIGNS of labor - shes eating - active - temp is normal - should we be worried that she is not going into labor on her own?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Karen, I need to respond "perhaps". This is because the gestation length is cited as 62-64 days from ovulation. Due to variability in the time of ovulation compared to the time of standing behavior in the bitch and the long time sperm are viable in the female reproductive tract, gestation length from a single breeding can range from 58 (bred late) to 71 days (bred early). If Ivy is otherwise well, I would continue to be patient.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok...
So she could ovulate AFTER breeding?

Correct! Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok - SO - Breeding was Oct 29th and I read in my home vet book she should have the puppies by 67 days or take her to the vet - but you at saying she can ovulate after breeding - do you know how many days after breeding would be the limit on that? OR what should I look for that would call for me to take her. She is still active and playful - her temp is normal - shes eating normal - puppies are moving - her teats are full and leaking. at this point I feel like I have NO IDEA on a puppy DUE DATE!

You're correct. She's at 67 days from breeding but not from ovulation and so she could be as long as 4 days away from delivering. To better understand her fetal health, consider having her uterus ultrasounded (not X-rayed). Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Hi Karen,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ivy. How is everything going?