Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Took my Shih, I took my Shih Tzus to the vet Friday to treat

Customer Question

Hey-Took my Shih
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: I took my Shih Tzus to the vet Friday to treat an ear infection. They prescribed him Apoquel and Enronfloxacin. His ear looks worse today than it has and it feels a little swollen around his eye.
JA: There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Tucker and he is 5
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tucker?
Customer: He gets infections about once every three or four months.
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 17 days ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Did they take a swab of his ear to look under the microscope and determine if this was yeast, bacteria or a mixture?

Did they prescribe any ear cleaner and/or medication to place in the ear?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
They did a swab and said it was a mixture of both. He has a prescription for drops from a previous infection and they told me to stop doing the drops for now to see if the oral meds work. It is getting worse and he is scheduled to see them Sat for a recheck but he acts like he is in pain and his ear is inflamed.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 17 days ago.

Thanks for the information. It sounds like he probably needs to be on steroids (prednisone) instead of Apoquel now. It will help to control the inflammation and swelling better. Apoquel is a good medication to treat allergies for short term and long term use, but it won't help the swelling and pain as much as prednisone. In reality, you will have a difficult time treating an ear infection without using something topical to place in the ear. The oral antibiotics cannot reach the entirety of the infection. Plus, the topical medications usually have a steroid in it. If they do, that may help to get some comfort for tonight, but I would get him back to your vet to start prednisone instead and even start him off with a dexamethasone injection to give more immediate comfort. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 14 days ago.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Tucker is doing and to see if you have further questions.