How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Pet Doc Your Own Question
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 7129
Experience:  Veterinarian
9138059
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Pet Doc is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My miniature daschund ate some chocolate covered marzipan,

Customer Question

My miniature daschund ate some chocolate covered marzipan
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Maggie is a miniature and she is 7 years old she ate about 100grams
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Maggie?
Customer: no
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 3 months ago.

Hi there,

How long ago did Maggie ingest this? Was this milk or dark chocolate covered marzipan? How heavy is she?

Dr E

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
dark chocolate and she is 12lbs
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 3 months ago.

Thanks - and how long ago did she ingest this?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
not sure, just cam home some time within the last 3 hours
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 3 months ago.

Hi again,

Thanks for that. This ingestion is definitely a concern as your girl is so small, and given she ate dark, not milk, chocolate. We don't know exactly how much chocolate she ingested as this was only around the marzipan, but if she ingested 30 - 40g worth of dark chocolate here, we would expect mild to moderate symptoms of chocolate toxicity including anything from increased thirst and urination, to restlessness, to even tremors. The marzipan itself is fine and isn't toxic, however could cause GI upset (vomiting and or diarrhea) given the high sugar content).

The best next step would be to have Maggie monitored by your local vet or ER vet for the next few hours. Chocolate toxicity is likely to start showing symptoms after 4 - 5 hours from ingestion. If Maggie had definitely eaten this within the last hour, then inducing vomiting would be the best next step, but it is most likely she ingested this 2 - 3 hours ago.

If for some reason you can't get her monitored tonight, then you will need to keep a close eye on her for the next few hours. In particular, please keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

If any of these parameters aren't right, or if any of the symptoms mentioned above start, then please do get her seen tonight. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 3 months ago.

Hopefully my message came through ok? Let me know if you need any further assistance regarding Maggie?

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 3 months ago.

Hi again,

How did you get on with Maggie overnight? Did her symptoms settle, or did you follow up with your local ER vet?

It would be great to get an update when you get a moment.

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 3 months ago.
Hi,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Pet Doc