Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

May have consumed clonidine,not sure, nothing now. Bichon,

Customer Question

may have consumed clonidine,not sure
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: nothing now. Bichon, weighs 17 lbs
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: Dog does not hurt; may have consumed clonidine
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Daisy, 6
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about daisy?
Customer: only one kidney
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long ago?

What milligrams were they?

How is she just now?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Dog is fine, dosage is .1 mg. I think I dropped a tablet and cannot find it, but she may not have consumed it.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you,

Now the good news is that this is a drug we do use in dogs and when we do, it usually a 0.1mg dose. So, if she only could have had one, we could see a bit of sedation but are unlikely to see anything more. If she could have had more that one tablet then we could also see a drop in her blood pressure, weakness, slowing of the heart.

With this all in mind, we have a few options. Since her only having one kidney means she could be slow to process this drug, we can err on the side of caution. To do so, if she just had this in the past 2 hours, we can induce vomiting now. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorphine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively, you can also consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Finally, after the above, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.

Overall, this isn't an overdose for her size, so adverse signs if she had this would be mild. Though given her kidney compromise, if you wanted to err on the side of caution, we could use the above to get that tablet back up if eaten or at least bind it with activated charcoal to prevent any issue for Daisy.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you.!: )

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks, I'll watch her for now.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

That should be fine to do.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.