Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Our 10 week old puppy ate charred turkey drippings (no

Customer Question

Our 10 week old puppy ate charred turkey drippings (no actual charcoal) yesterday and started vomiting this morning/ off and on for about 4 hours. She may be constipated too. Does she need to get her stomach pumped? Any suggestions?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What does her vomit look like?

Is she straining to pass feces?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Vomit has some grass, but lots of the rocky consistency from the ashes turkey drippings.I think she is straining to pass feces, but I couldn't tell if she is constipated or just heaving to try and vomit.I'm not sure about water since she's just been vomiting all morning.Her guns are light pink and moist.She's exhausted and sleeping now, but when I push on her belly, she doesn't wince or wake up.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

Now with how young Rose is, we need to tread with care. Pups are high risk for dehydration and weakness from profuse vomiting.

With this in mind, if this was eaten yesterday, we'd not likely find much benefit in pumping her stomach. Instead, we'd need to soothe her nausea and ensure fecal regularity (though she won't have much to pass after all this vomiting, but if there is rocky material then we could have a possible blockage).

To start, since her gums are pink and she hasn't belly pain, we can begin by addressing possible low blood sugar induced lethargy. For that we can try boosting her blood sugar by rubbing a sugary syrup (ie glucose syrup, honey, karo syrup, pancake syrup, or even non-grape jam) onto the gums. This will get some sugar into her and hopefully perk her up for us.

Afterwards, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle her stomach. To start, if she hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest her stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating her with an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be: Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if you give this and she cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from her vet.

Though once that is on board, you can consider starting her on a easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Pumpkin can be added to this, as can OTC canine probiotics (ie Fortiflora, Benebac, etc). Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning her slowly back to her normal diet.

Since dehydration is a risk for Rose, we need to keep an eye on her hydration. To check that she isn't dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, do make sure she doesn’t have sunken eyes and that she doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue for her (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, we need to tread with care here. The material sounds like it could cause a blockage but the drippings can be causing a gastritis or pancreatitis here. SO, we can start the above now for Rose to see if we can get her settled. Though if we cannot get her settled within a few hours, we'd want her local vet involved. They can assess her hydration and treat her with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- fluids, to get her back feeling like herself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

All the best,

Dr. B.