Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I rescued him three ago and he seemed fine. I found out my 2

Customer Question

I rescued him three ago and he seemed fine. I found out my 2 year old neice fed him chocolate on Christmas Eve. For six day he had diahrea For two days he was ok. And now he has bloody liquid at the beginning and end of every poop. He is eating normal and drinking plenty of water. Running and playing Goes to the bathroom constantly during the night
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Riggs. I rescued him last month
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Riggs?
Customer: I think that is it. He is a very sweet dog. I just spoke to my daughter and she says his stool is still bloody. Sometimes it mostly blood and clear liquid.
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 15 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

While the chocolate Riggs was given likely started his diarrhea, to see blood with the stools now suggests that he has develops a secondary inflammatory or bacterial colitis. Now if the bleeding is severe, we'd want him seen right away. Otherwise, we can try supportive care to see if we can reduce this for him.

In regards ***** ***** for inflammatory colitis (where bacterial induced ones often need antibiotics), we can start by offering small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the upset gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and diarrhea. You can also add fiber (ie canned pumpkin or all bran) and OTC canine probiotics (ie Fortiflora, Benebac) to these meals to firm the stools and support the gut. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to your normal diet. And if he settles in 24-48 hours, we are happy. Though if this lingers, his gums pale, or that blood is more than a spoonful in a bowel movement, then we'd want him seen urgently to rule out bacterial concerns +/- get him onto antibiotics to nip this in the bud and get him back feeling like himself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.