Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My 15 lb Shi itzu got into some truffles. It appears he at

Customer Question

my 15 lb Shi itzu got into some truffles. It appears he at about 40 grams of dark chocolate ones and 40 grams of milk chocolate. So far she seems okay (about 1 hour ago), do I need to take her to the emergency room?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

A 15 lb dog will tolerate up to 15 ounces of solid mild chocolate and 5 ounces of dark chocolate. 40 grams of each = 1.33 ounces of each and so she should remain safe. As with ingesting anything unusual transient gastrointestinal distress in the form of inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea can arise but she wasn't intoxicated.

It's the theobromine in chocolate that we're concerned with. if ingested in enough quantity, it can cause vomiting, agitation, and tremors. That isn't likely from what you've told me. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.