How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 26921
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 15 lb Shi itzu got into some truffles. It appears he at

Customer Question

my 15 lb Shi itzu got into some truffles. It appears he at about 40 grams of dark chocolate ones and 40 grams of milk chocolate. So far she seems okay (about 1 hour ago), do I need to take her to the emergency room?
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

A 15 lb dog will tolerate up to 15 ounces of solid mild chocolate and 5 ounces of dark chocolate. 40 grams of each = 1.33 ounces of each and so she should remain safe. As with ingesting anything unusual transient gastrointestinal distress in the form of inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea can arise but she wasn't intoxicated.

It's the theobromine in chocolate that we're concerned with. if ingested in enough quantity, it can cause vomiting, agitation, and tremors. That isn't likely from what you've told me. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.