Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My beagle is 29 lb and is on wt control diet....12 1/2 yo,

Customer Question

my beagle is 29 lb and is on wt control diet....12 1/2 yo
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your beagle?
Customer: for a year her its bother her more. vet gave her krill for inflammation and i give her costochondrotin each day for strength. We also have rimadyl if needed. sometimes she can't jump up to my bed but won't use doggy stairs.and can't jump up on higher chairs.
JA: Where does your beagle seem to hurt?
Customer: to me it looked like paws with sharp objects in them but the vet said its her elbows
JA: OK. What is the beagle's name?
Customer: Diva of course
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Diva of course?
Customer: nope...shes a typical beagle. recently ate a bucket of kfc that my son left with bones etc. She looked like a snake that just ate rats and was incredibly bloated She passed it all and was normal in 3 days. We are going on our annual dog vacation to a fl state park so i have her meds in case she gets increased pain. She really sparks up in that trip....Anything else i need to do to keep her comfortable? thx
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

With the medication that Diva is normally on, or used as needed, does she seem comfortable when on all three? Does it seem to take care of her discomfort or do you feel it does not adequately meet her needs?

Does she ever seem overly painful during these trips despite the extra spark she receives from them?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
sometimes they don't work and she walks gingerly with little exertion.

It may be time to talk to your vet about adding other medications like tramadol to her regimen for pain. If you know that she is apt to have a little more discomfort during these trips, don't hesitate to give her daily Rimadyl knowing that she's at risk for this so that you can prevent the issue just as much as treating it.