Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian
9138059

My new rescue dog has not peed in 24 hours and I'm worried.

Customer Question

my new rescue dog has not peed in 24 hours and I'm worried. I've taken him on lots of walks, spent time in the back yard off leash, but no success. He did poop this morning (a mountain of poop!) but not pee. He's very shy, not sure if he's holding it on purpose or a medical problem.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: no wounds and he seems fine and healthy overall, except for the no-pee issue
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: he had dental disease and many teeth were removed by the shelter. He's 5 years old
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 17 days ago.

Hi there,

Thank you for your question regarding your 5 year old rescue boy who hasn't peed in 24 hours now! This is certainly a real concern, and while this could either just be behavioral in nature, or due to the fact he has peed and you just haven't seen it, we also have to consider more worrying issues. Male dogs are at risk of a blocked urethra if urinary stones or crystals are present, and we definitely have to consider this here. Other possible causes include due to relatively dehydration (unlikely if he is drinking normally), or even a mass in his bladder or urethra. If has been straining to urinate and nothing has been coming out, or if you have been with him the majority of the last 24 hours and he hasn't peed anywhere at all, you are best to play it safe and get him checked by your local vet or ER vet.

For now, please keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 17 days ago.

Hopefully those parameters were all normal. I'll be online for another 10 - 15 minutes, please let me know if you need any further assistance?
Dr E