Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285

We came home and our Yorkie got into a plastic container

Customer Question

We came home and our Yorkie got into a plastic container that has doggie treats. Inside of the container was some small packets that say DO NOT EAT and are also marked deoxidizer. Will he be OK?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is Buster and he is a 5 year old male. He seems to be OK right now.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Buster?
Customer: No / He has no other issues and is up on all of his shots.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years. I would like to assist you.

How many packets did he eat?

Were they in paper?

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 2 months ago.

I did not want you to wait. Those Packets are not really toxic but not meant to be eaten. My biggest concerns would be that with Busters size if he hate more than two if he would be able to pass them. Usually the paper breaks down and they will pass through. The possibility of some diarrhea is also possible depending on how many he ate. If he does start vomiting withhold food for 12 hours and then start a bland diet of one part skineless chicken breast to 3 parts white rice and and a could of teaspoons full of Pure canned Pumpkin. Feed this for a few days until the stools resoolve and wean back onto a normal diet.

Please let me know if you would like to discuss this information by hitting reply. I will be stepping away from the computer for about an hour, but will respond when I get back.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 2 months ago.

How is your Yorkie doing today? Checking in to see how he is doing?

Joan