petdrz.
petdrz., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My dog developed a lump on his head it is now kinda of

Customer Question

My dog developed a lump on his head it is now kinda of large. he still eats but we change his food to a softer food. He still gets around alright but slower than before. He also seems to be in pain crying a lot even if you get close to him. We been giving a dog aspirin for pain . seems better after he takes it. Today he had some kind of discharge from his eye (blood I think) on the side his lump is on his head
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Benji and we have had him 7 years but he was a rescue and I think hes 10-12 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Benji?
Customer: He eats and drinks like normal
Category: Dog
Expert:  petdrz. replied 2 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Expert:  petdrz. replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Benji today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information in order to better assist you if you don't mind.

Has Benji been seen for this problem by his veterinarian yet?

Has he had xrays of his hind leg?

Where is the lump on his head?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
nothing wrong with leg lump is on left side of head no we haven't taken him to vet yet and the discharge from the eye was also on left the discharge has only happened today
Expert:  petdrz. replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for the prompt reply.

Without being able to examine him, it is difficult to know what is causing the lump. Of course a tumorous mass is a possibility, but there are others. The roots of the chewing teeth are deep in the jaw and if a dog develops a root tip abscess, it can lead to a large swelling and even effect the eye if the infection is bad enough. These will sometimes even rupture open and there can be a pus drainage. It is possible that may be what is going on. Unfortunately, there is not much that you can offer without veterinary intervention.

It is best to keep any discharge from building up around his eyes by wiping gently with a warm water cloth. You can try flushing his eyes with eyewash or saline solution (like contact wearers use). He may also get some relief from an artificial tear type solution applied as frequently as needed to keep the eyes lubricated. The product called Genteal® is available over the counter (OTC) as a solution or a gel.

You can also try to apply cool compresses to the lump as it may provide some relief. If this is an abscess, it is best to have the affected tooth extracted, but antibiotics will be needed as well.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Expert:  petdrz. replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

petdrz.