Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

Boston terrier 1yr old took nap. When woke up yelping and

Customer Question

Boston terrier 1yr old took nap. When woke up yelping and wont use back legs. When i manualy moved the legs they work fine and no pain but when he tries it causes pain. No obvious cause of trama...hit by car, nothing physical that is known. What can i do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Damon, the pain may be in his back and not in his legs. If he is unable to use them, he must be examined immediately. Small breed dogs are prone to a condition known as IVDD or intervertebral disk disease. This commonly manifests itself as discomfort in the neck and back. We can see symptoms as minor as tenderness and as major as full paralysis of the back legs. You can learn more here: http://sevneurology.com/articles/intervertebral-disk-disease-ivdd-in-dogs/

The faster care is provided the better the chance that Bently will have the opportunity to walk again in the future.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800