Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I think my dog has a toothache, Huggles and she is 11 years

Customer Question

I think my dog has a toothache
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Huggles and she is 11 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Huggles?
Customer: She has a cracked tooth on the otherside but thats not bothering her. Its the side where she has red gum on top and her vet told me to rub some peroxide in it to kill bacteria. I dont think its working because she still has red gum line
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Poor Huggles!

Dental issues are very common at her age since often our dogs don't brush their teeth daily as we do. In this case, if we have a rotten or compromised tooth causing her pain then we will need her seen by her vet as soon as they are open to address this for her (ie dog safe pain relief, antibiotics +/- tooth extraction). In the meantime, you can flush it with peroxide (though I find dilute chlorohexidine - (example) a better options) and consider a low dose of buffered Aspirin (More Info/Dose HERE) for pain. Of course, that needs to be given with food and stopped if we see any stomach upset or black stool. But we'd hope to keep her comfortable over the weekend until her vet can address this compromised tooth for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )