Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I keep IV fluids and supplies in my home because Mei-Ling

Customer Question

I keep IV fluids and supplies in my home because Mei-Ling and another 9 year old female Chinese Shar- Pei can have fever episodes where muzzle swelling can preclude them from drinking. Their fevers have gone as high as 106 at times. So, I've learned to keep these fluids on hand for sub-q administration. My question is I have bags of normal saline, 5% Dextrose/0.45% Sodium Chloride,& Lactated Ringers. Which fluid would be best for SubQ administration with a slightly elevated BUN, but, normal Creatinine? All other blood values on the chem are normal except for a slightly lower calcium by .2 points. .I'm waiting for results of the SDMA. But, I thought it would be helpful to give her a bit of fluids over the course of the next few days to help flush gently her kidneys. I would then repeat the testing on a recommendation from you as well. What would be a reasonable amount of time to retest. I have an extended thyroid panel coming back as well. Her T 4 was just below the bottom of normal range. I have all the sterile supplies I need. I'm a non practicing dialysis nurse so all this is unfortunately not foreign to me.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Lactated ringers is the fluid of choice. Normal electrolytes (sodium, potassium) don't support the use of dextrose/NaCl but it wouldn't be harmful. Retesting after 72 hours of fluids would be appropriate. She's not a candidate for regular fluid therapy (diuresis) at this time but, once again, it won't be harmful. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you so much. I so appreciate your responses. You gave me quite a bit to think about and good directions to explore.
All the best to you and a very Happy New Year.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Happy new year to you and Mei-Ling!

I'm just following up on our conversation about Mei-Ling. How is everything going?