Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My placed my 16 year old Pomeranian on the sofa and when he

Customer Question

Hi! My placed my 16 year old Pomeranian on the sofa and when he jumped off he cried and limped back to his bed. It seems Ike he may have injured his rear right leg. It's been about 20 minutes and he's laying in his bed. He's not whimpering in pain and I touched his leg and he didn't attempt to growl or bite which I would imagine he would do if he was in severe pain.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Coby
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Coby?
Customer: He just attempted to scratch his ear with the injured leg...he hit his leg to touch his ear but then he stopped.
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 22 days ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Dogs who will not put weight on a leg could have a dislocated hip, or knee injury such as an ACL tear. Often a dog will allow the owner to move the leg around since it is most painful when they attempt to move it on their own power. You can read about dislocated hips here:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/hip_dislocation.html

And read about ACL injuries here:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2084&aid=474

.

If he is actually putting some weight on the leg, then it may just be a bruised leg or soft tissue injury like a sprain. For this I would recommend strict cage rest for a few days and then reevaluate the situation. If there is some improvement, you might continue crate rest for a few more days and then progress to leashed walks. A partial tear of an ACL can be reinjured and tear completely with too much exercise, so keeping the dog calm is recommended until your vet can evaluate the injury.

Buffered aspirin can be given to a dog with a dosage of up to 5-10 mg per pound every 12 hours for pain.. Keep in mind that a dog's body does not metabolize aspirin in the same way as a human and thus should not be given more than a day or two without contacting your Vet. The aspirin may need to clear your dog’s system before other medications can be given, so keep that in mind if you decide to give aspirin and be sure and tell your vet when your dog is seen. It can take a week or more. Read side effects and precautions here.

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin/page1.aspx

Since it is a holiday weekend, you would need to have him seen first thing in the morning or wait until Monday unless you want to incur an ER charge.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 16 days ago.

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. Let me know if my answer was helpful.