Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

He has a hurt front leg. Not sure how it happened. He

Customer Question

He has a hurt front leg. Not sure how it happened. He squeals on touch. We've given asprin.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Nothing open.
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is***** is about 5.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Puppy?
Customer: No ma'am
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How long has he been showing signs? Any history of a trauma or fall?

Is he holding the leg up or dragging it?

If you feel up and down the leg, any swellings, tender spots, bruising, or bony crunching?

Any joint swellings or puffiness?

What dose of Aspirin did you give? What is his weight?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm sorry. We just woke up. We noticed his symptoms yesterday morning. We got a puppy for Christmas. Puppy has not been happy about the new addition. We couldn't get him to come inside the night before. We thought he was pouting. He's holding his leg up and he tries to keep it straight. He has some swelling around the lower shoulder. He is about 40 pounds. We gave him 3 81mg aspirin over a 24 hour period.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

Now we do need to tread with care. If he is holding the leg up and trying to keep this rigid, we could have a muscle strain/sprain, tendon damage, or a possible hairline fracture. Thankfully, spinal and nerve issues sound less likely for him though.

With this in mind, we'd want to keep up on the Aspirin every 12 hours as long as he is tolerating it. As well, we'd want to also warm compress this to reduce inflammation, swelling and discomfort with the muscles and tendons. If you do not have a warm compress at home, you can make one by filling a sock 2/3rds full of uncooked rice. This can be microwaved for a minute or so until warm. Shake it to distribute the heat (and do check its not too warm). This can be rewarmed as needed. And of course, while dong this we do need to strictly rest Puppy (no stairs, climbing on/off things, lead walks to the garden to do his business and then back to resting) and if he isn't settled by Monday or worsens, then we'd need to have this checked +/- xrayed to ensure there is no serious damage we need to address and so that his vet can also start strong pain relief to get him settled.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )